January 9, 2015

Nerd Alert!

Warning if you don't want to read about me needing out skim the pictures and move along.

This is where I work!

Great someone kept reading. Yesterday I got a chance to meet my new boss and a bunch of coworker. I also saw my office. Yup, I have an actual office (with walls a door and windows) at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. It already had my name on the tag but no furniture yet. My boss just moved offices and I'm getting his old office. Right outside my office is the lending library with every imaginable space and aviation book that I can check out. I'm also a few steps from the reading room with more reference materials. Not much of a view out my window . . . actually one wall of my office is all windows.  Basically a building across the street but maybe wehn I get in next week I’ll be able to learn way to one side and see something cool.  


There is an employee cafeteria with one wall of windows looking out at the Native American Museum and the Capitol.  


My office is in the west wing of the building and is 5802 feet from the Oval Office. And if you don't think I measured you're crazy (West Wing reference).

Gene Cernan's boots that left the last footprints on the moon.

I have orientation on Monday and on Tuesday I start at Air and Space. On Friday I will be teaching/filming a lesson at a local school about composite materials. This lesson will then be used in the webcast on January 28.


I was also told yesterday that the first project I would be working in is with a school in DC to plan some of the STEM in 30 shows. In particular the first ones I will be planning involve a live downlink with the astronauts on the International Space Station. Yes I will be talking live with Astronauts in space. I don't say this often but squeeee!


I truly can’t wait to get started.  It was amazing yesterday, the only downside was that I wasn’t able to come home and hug my kids and wife afterward.

These pictures are for my students, if they are reading this.  They will all know what it is.  Basically this is a poop bag used in early space missions.  One of the last lessons I taught them was how to go to the bathroom in space.  So for anyone that didn’t believe me, here is proof.

Poop Bag
I told you it was a real thing!


3 comments:

  1. You might pick up some of those for me. I might need them for your front lawn...

    For my Dogs. (thought I better make that clarification)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! So excited for you. I can't wait to see your show. I will have to let all your students know about the poop bag. I know it is not the same, but I volunteer to hug your wife and kids for you. Take it easy. We miss you here at SVMS. -Eniola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool poop bag dude!

    ReplyDelete